Author Topic: Marco Frisina\'s La Divina Commedia  (Read 4880 times)

Offline nialler

• View Profile
Marco Frisina\'s La Divina Commedia
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:34:07 pm »
Hello everybody,
I posted the following message in another board and didn\'t get very many replies.  I was wondering if any of the members here would like to contribute to this topic.  I would very much welcome feedback, thanks,
Niall.

Diana and I attended two performances of Marco Frisina\'s Opera, La Divina Commedia, in Roma in it\'s opening week early last December. Our whole four day trip was unforgettable, as any trip to Italy is. In my estimation it is a simply marvelous show and will be enjoyed whether you are familiar or not with Marco\'s music. Of course, it would help to have a little knowledge of Dante\'s Commedia and Diana and I had but "a little knowledge" however, I intend to finish reading Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso...sometime, Boccaccio is so much more fun! One of the best staged segments is sung by Ulysses (Alberto Lupo Janelli) who is condemned to Hell with his warriors. It\'s a marvelous show-stopper with tremendously exciting orchestrations and a powerful all male chorus and I couldn\'t help thinking that Frisina would have been brilliant at scoring Peplums, carrying on the noble tradition of, among others, Rustichelli, Nicolosi and Trovaioli! On this evidence he is superb at creating exciting musical tableaux. Vittoria Matteucci is constantly engaging as Dante in a wonderfully athletic and vocally vigorous performance. But, for me the show was stolen by Lalo Cibelli as Latin poet Virgilio (Virgil), who guides Dante through Inferno and Purgatorio (as a pagan Virgilio may not enter Paradise and resides in Limbo, the first circle of Hell). Cibelli has so much onstage presence it\'s uncanny, I expect to see great things from this actor in the future.

I believe that they are taking the show around major cities in Italy later this year to be staged (as we experienced it) in it\'s own mobile \'state of the art, purpose built\' Il Teatro Divina Commedia with incredible lighting, back projection, and sound system. Carlo Rambaldi has contributed some amazing effeti speciali including a fabulous spectacle of a Griffen which has to be seen to be believed! In the production that we saw in Roma at the Tor Vergata campus , the Frisina\'s, including Gerardo Frisina, Marco\'s brother,and his sons (in true Italian family tradition) are involved in the operation, helping out generally back and front stage. It is a top class professional production wonderfully executed from Mons. Frisina\'s original conception and scoring to final stage presentation. It\'s very well directed by Elisabetta Marchetti with superb collaborazione artistica e produzione musicale from Frisina regular collaborator Michele Santoro. Needless to say I got the 2 CD Original Cast recording, on sale in \'tent show\' fashion at the Teatro foyer. This doesn\'t seem to be available yet through any of the usual outlets, and it is well worth hearing.

I want to say a special grazi to our friend, the ever helpful and reliable Maurizio at Intermezzo Media, Milano, for helping us secure tickets and wonderfully positioned seating. If you like Marco Frisina\'s music and you get the chance to pop over to Italy later this year to attend this Opera, do so and you won\'t be disappointed. Oh, and do have a nice bottle of vino afterwards to celebrate, cheers!
Niall. :)

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
Re: Marco Frisina\'s La Divina Commedia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »
Like I have always said Father Marco,s music is wonderful, it sounds like you had a very entertaing and emotion filled evening,  john Mansell.

Offline Daniele De Gemini

• Administrator
  • Beat Records A&R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:06:06 am »
Reading your words, it seems you have enjoyed a unique experience. In our culture, but also in European culture, Dante\'s Divina Commedia has a very strong appeal... A lot of literature and from a wider point of view, a lot of arts have been inspired by the Commedia. The Commedia itself is a great melting pot of different instances and is a real masterpiece of Italian medieval literature...

Anyway, I\'m really amazed by your report and I\'m wondering if I will ever have the chance to enjoy Frisina\'s Divina Commedia too...!

For what concerns Peplum score writing, I think Maestro Frisina is such a great composer he surely has the necessary skill to understand the epc atmosphere of that genre and the sinphonic attitude to interpret it correctly!

P.S. I\'ve moved the topic in the english section of the message board!
Daniele De Gemini
Beat Records Company
A&R

Offline nialler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:55:52 pm »
Hi Daniele,
I sincerely hope that you will get the chance to attend a performance of La Divina Commedia, maybe later this year ?  I am a bit surprised also that Mons. Frisina\'s work is not more popular outside of Italy.  Even among the general film music collecting community he has yet to attract the kind of attention that he deserves, but I feel that will change over time.  Giovanni Paola 11 is one of the most emotionally moving scores that I have ever heard.   :P Diana and I always enjoy our trips to Italy and we go almost every year.  Indeed every time we go to Rome we have a "unique experience" we can never get enough Italian culture!  Earlier, in May of last year, we spent a week in Cefalu, Sicily, that was our second visit there and I know that we will return to Sicily again.  A few years ago during the Notte Bianca we were lucky enough to attend the wonderful concert given by Mr. Morricone at The Piazza del Campidoglio.  What could be better than standing in that wonderful space on a starry night watching and listening to the music of one of the greatest composers ever!  It was pure magic and it is always such a delight to experience his exceptional music at first hand.
Niall.  

Quote from: \"Daniele De Gemini\"
Reading your words, it seems you have enjoyed a unique experience. In our culture, but also in European culture, Dante\'s Divina Commedia has a very strong appeal... A lot of literature and from a wider point of view, a lot of arts have been inspired by the Commedia. The Commedia itself is a great melting pot of different instances and is a real masterpiece of Italian medieval literature...

Anyway, I\'m really amazed by your report and I\'m wondering if I will ever have the chance to enjoy Frisina\'s Divina Commedia too...!

For what concerns Peplum score writing, I think Maestro Frisina is such a great composer he surely has the necessary skill to understand the epc atmosphere of that genre and the sinphonic attitude to interpret it correctly!

P.S. I\'ve moved the topic in the english section of the message board!