Author Topic: getting to know each other  (Read 3382 times)

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
getting to know each other
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:59 am »
thought it might be an idea for anyone who wants to  to post details of when they started collecting   what their first soundtrack was etc etc   

Offline Josh Mitchell

• View Profile
Re: getting to know each other
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:28 pm »
Great idea, John.  This is more or less what I was trying to do with my "What was the first BEAT CD or LP you ever bought?" thread, and you were the only person who replied.  ;D

Since my post in that thread is similar to what you're asking for here, I'll copy and paste it to get this party started.  Hopefully more people will join in this time!

A native of the USA (San Diego, California, to be exact), I only just "discovered" the world of Italian films and film scores about 10 years ago.  At the time, I was working in a hip little family-owned video rental store which had a massive collection of rare and obscure videocassettes (the type you'd never see in a commercial chain store).  Part of that collection consisted of about a zillion horror films from all over the world, and that's how I originally came to know and love Italian horror films (and their soundtracks!).  I eventually branched out and explored many other wonderful Italian film genres (such as sci-fi, sexploitation, giallo, western, peplum, etc.) , but it was horror that originally got me hooked. 

The first BEAT CD I ever purchased was BEAT Records CDCR 24, the double-header featuring Fabio Frizzi's Paura Citta Paura Nella Città Dei Morti Viventi (1980) and Giuliano Sorgini's The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974).  I was absolutely blown away when I listened to it, because it was unlike any other music I'd ever heard before.  It was one of those exciting, revelatory moments when you realize that there is another whole world of music out there to explore, just when you thought you'd heard it all.  Of course, thanks to the Italian film score labels that are working so hard to preserve and produce this excellent music for us all to enjoy, I'm able to continue to making new discoveries all the time. 

Offline Damian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:31:43 pm »
One of the first two lps I boughtaround 1978/9 was Fistful of $/Few $ More,From woolworths for about £1.99.The other(in case anyone's interested )was Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No.1(talk about opposites!).I'd always wanted something with man with the harmaonica on it but at that time couldn't find it.Then the first time I came out of the cinema humming the 'tune'was a little later when star trek 1 can out.And then i was off and running.

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:40:00 am »
i remember those dollar scores on 1 lp great front cover of eastwood from fafdm my first lp was lawrence of arabia  then zulu followed  after this is was a james bond score  from russia with love   then i found morricone  and that was it i was bitten or maybe smitten by european film music  now i got   3000 lps   and   6,550 cds all film music, plus i dj so my work collection as i call it is pretty big too, i also like 60s music  of the instrumental kind    soul coaxing   love is blue and things like albatross by fleetwood mac   and also tracks by the beatles, love affair, deep purple, the who  the monkees   etc etc   plus there are some great funk and soul tracks out there from the 1970s, which is when i began to dj in the clubs and bars in my home town of  brighton,  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o