Author Topic: About Oscar: Dario Marianelli  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Joan Padrol

• View Profile
About Oscar: Dario Marianelli
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »
My congratulations to the composer born in Pisa Dario Marianelli for the Oscar of "Atonement", but attention :? : the sound of the typewriter mixed in the score with the piano and orchestra, it´s a thing that Mario Nascimbene did in 1952 in "Roma, ora undici" :o . It´s a copy, a tribute or the fact that the historical memory is forgotten :roll: ?

Offline Daniele De Gemini

• Administrator
  • Beat Records A&R
    • View Profile
Re: About Oscar: Dario Marianelli
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:40 am »
I didn\'t see both movie (ouch!).

I think that if the sound of the typewriter is clearly evidenced in the screenplay the solution of Maestro Marianelli surely is something deeply bound with the movie itself. It could be just a casual ispiration... Anyway, if the new Oscar award was aware of M° Nascimbene "trick", I would say he did a tribute to him, one that was detectable just by great cinema experts!

So my congratulations for finding the parallelism... anyway, I\'ll write more impressions as soon as I\'ll see both movies!

Daniele De Gemini
Beat Records
Daniele De Gemini
Beat Records Company
A&R

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:37:14 pm »
i thought of nascimbene when I first heard attonement, and also of Morricone who used a typewriter within some of his compositions, sadly I found the score to attonement a little dull and the typewriter was very distracting, I had hoped that Marco Beltrami (another composer born in Italy) was going to be given the Oscar for his energetic score to 3 10 to yuma, which has some very Italian western sounding cues within it. JOhn M.

Offline nialler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »
Yes John, I would have gone for 3:10 To Yuma too.  Both Marianelli and Beltrami have great talent.
Niall.

:P
Quote from: \"john mansell\"
i thought of nascimbene when I first heard attonement, and also of Morricone who used a typewriter within some of his compositions, sadly I found the score to attonement a little dull and the typewriter was very distracting, I had hoped that Marco Beltrami (another composer born in Italy) was going to be given the Oscar for his energetic score to 3 10 to yuma, which has some very Italian western sounding cues within it. JOhn M.

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »
Beltrami  seems to be able to write some very dramatic music   which at the same time verges on the operatic, his scores for the Scream trilogy for example contain some fine moments that I can only attribute to the style etc associated with Italian film music, Beltrami will I think become one of the main stays within the film music community worldwide.  john mansell.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:14:24 pm »

Re: Morricone and the typewriter, i\'m sure there was a little glimpse of this on the documentary the BBC did some years ago, where Morricone is sitting with a man and a woman tapping away at a typewriter to one of his pop arrangements of the time. I will need to search this documentary out (I have it on DVD somewhere) and give it the once over again.

Stephen.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:18:58 pm »
Beltrami  seems to be able to write some very dramatic music   which at the same time verges on the operatic, his scores for the Scream trilogy for example contain some fine moments that I can only attribute to the style etc associated with Italian film music, Beltrami will I think become one of the main stays within the film music community worldwide.  john mansell.

I think so too John, he has given us some fantastic music, Yuma\'s score works really well in the film and goes beyond simple pastiche or homage. I\'m still very disappointed he will not be scoring the sequel to Hellboy, his score to the first film is one of my favourites of the last few years, with a memorable main title.

Stephen.

Offline john mansell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:20:16 pm »
the typewriter and morricone was in the bbc documentry, its a black and white film from an interview the Maestro did for Italian TV....

Offline Daniele De Gemini

• Administrator
  • Beat Records A&R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 08:52:34 am »
Recently I succeded in having a look (and giving a listen  8-) )to ATONEMENT.

I have to say I appreciated a lot the solution of the typewriter. In the movie we have the young girl that writes his plays with a typewriter, the sound from on becomes off and is mixed in the soundtrack. It echos the fact that things can\'t be changed in this story, the destiny of the people involved is already written and can\'t be eluded. On my opinion it has a strong relation with the real instances of the movie.

For what concerns the fact that Maestro Nascimbene (and Maestro Morricone) already put a typewriter in one of their scores, again, I have to think that in this case the idea could have sprung just by the screenplay...

Who knows? Let\'s hope Maestro Marianelli will tell it in some interview!
Daniele De Gemini
Beat Records Company
A&R